Call Today - (910) 433-2171

Home » Areas of Practice » Division of Property & Military Retirement

Division of Property & Military Retirement

Property division can be one of the most contested aspects of a divorce case. Our team can help you move past the challenges you face regarding property distribution, while protecting your rights and helping you achieve a favorable outcome.

In addition to helping the civilians in Fayetteville, Cumberland County, Fort Bragg and Spring Lake, North Carolina, Attorney Lila E. Washington has a deep understanding of the specific nuances of property division involving members of the military.  We represent all armed forces members, including the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard, and their spouses in the property division cases.

A Cumberland County Property Division Attorney Who Is On Your Side

In North Carolina, property division arising from a separation and/or divorce case involves the equitable, or fair, distribution of property and debts that were acquired throughout the course of the marriage and prior to the separation of the spouses. These items could include, but are not limit to:

  • Primary homes
  • Vacation homes
  • Rental property
  • Vehicles
  • Jewelry
  • Equipment
  • Bank accounts
  • Retirement and compensation plans
  • Stock options and investment accounts
  • Debts related to credit cards, mortgages, medical expenses and loans

Property accumulated prior to marriage, and in most cases after the date of separation, is considered to be separate property and therefore not subject to being divided in the property division process.

Fayetteville property division attorney Lila E. Washington has helped clients obtain fair property settlements in their divorce cases for more than twenty-five years. When you consult with our firm, you can expect our team of professionals to work closely with you to identify those assets and debts that should be divided.

Our goal is to help you achieve fair results in your divorce. We will diligently protect your best interests whether you are able to reach a property division resolution through out-of-court negotiations or in court pursuant to a judge’s order.

Contact our office today for a confidential appointment. Call us at (910) 433-2171.